Mother’s Day in the Alleys of Sangsu-dong

Oh well,  we Mothers get to have that one day in a year to celebrate and be appreciated for our “motherhood”. Thanks to Anne Jarvis who never forgot her own mother’s wish that someday mothers will be appreciated, she started sending carnations to church as her own way of remembering her mom. The “Mother’s Day” became an official celebration when on May 8, 1914, President Woodrow Wilson designated it on every second Sunday of May. So, here we are Moms from all over the world giving cheers for the women that we have become.

My Mother’s Day ended with a stroll along the alleys of Sangsu-dong. Sangsu-dong is still the little-known area of Hongdae – the popular district that has become the go-to place for yuppies. So, strolling along Sangsu-dong is a pleasant experience. Without the crowd, you can appreciate its alleys, small stores, cafes and restaurants. Each nook seem to want to establish its own character. I love it! Here are a few photos to walk you through:

My two boys in one of the small pasta and salad place while we are finalizing our choice for dinner:

photo 20160508_180838_zps4k6j9qz8.jpg

Getting comfy while waiting

photo 20160508_181326_zpse2xs1yb0.jpg

Another pizza and salad place

You wouldn’t miss this corner cafe especially at night.

photo 20160508_193128_zpsoks0s2bp.jpg

Corner cafe

This facade  caught my attention. The letters were carved out from the cement wall.

photo 20160508_192238_zpspfgggfet.jpg

Cement carving?

Utsov is an Indian restaurant. The boys liked the interior and they wanted to go back and eat lunch buffet here.

photo 20160508_192325_zpsws3bhkfp.jpg

Interior of Utsov

photo 20160508_192948_zpsuwkox0ac.jpg

Another cafe

A Big white, dog.  It’s so white that it looks like it is a small white bear….lol.

photo 20160508_193419_zps25rcactc.jpg

Then there’s this vintage shop that intrigued me. It’s called Page One. The items are not that unique but the styles are mostly vintage. It’s worth a try to visit.

photo Collage 2016-05-08 23_34_22_zps9iaawljh.jpg

Then there’s this gigantic door.

You see, I love red. And I love red doors. I quickly asked my husband to take my picture.

photo 20160508_195447-1_zpssp6dppmh.jpg

There’s more to these Sangsu-dong photos. Now that the weather is warmer (getting hotter, too!), it’s getting to be an ideal weather to explore Seoul again. Check these out. The easiest way to go there is from Exit 1 of Sangsu station.

Have fun!

1. Gina says:

Your boys are so sweet and thoughtful. I would love to go eat at that place you ate at as well. All the places you mentioned look so nice and I can’t wait to try them out!
    Gina recently posted..Gunpo Royal Azalea FestivalMy Profile

2. Nadine says:

That’s one of the great things about Seoul, you can see so many random and fun places. Thanks for sharing. I’ve never been to the Sangsu area, but if/when I go I’ll make sure to check out some of these places.

3. Roxy Hutton says:

Hi Wendy!
    Thanks so much for sharing that interesting info on the history of mothers day. It looks like you had a wonderful day out with your family.
    That dog looks so beautiful! It must be hard to keep his coat so clean and shiny 🙂

4. This looks like a really nice way to spend a Mothers Day! We loved strolling through undiscovered neighborhoods of Seoul when we lived there, holiday or not, and we were always being surprised by that great city. Hongdae is a lot of fun, but we’ll have to check this area out next time we’re there!
    Hedgers Abroad recently posted..Yeosu City Guide – Dolsan IslandMy Profile

5. Sounds like a lovely neighborhood! I love red doors too and its great to see a variety of cafes and restaurants mentioned in your stroll.

6. Megan Indoe says:

That’s an interesting little tid bit of history on mother’s day! Thanks for sharing and it’s nice to see you had a great day! Mothers deserve to be recognized, they have one of the toughest jobs in the world! I also have seen that dog before! He’s pretty cool…although that pizza place you took a picture of had a peculiar name. It sounds like their pizza may be crappy because of their name hahaha!
    Megan Indoe recently posted..Koko Head Hike in OahuMy Profile

• wendy says:

Funny that Crapizz(a)…. The dog was tame and well-behaved. Oh well, he’s constantly with people so he must be a very social dog:-).

7. Hanani says:

Lovely post, Wendy! Utsov looks like a great place — I’d be sure to give it a try when I’m in Seoul next. Thank you for sharing. And, Happy Mother’s Day!
    Hanani recently posted..Jet Lag Action PlanMy Profile