Dwight School Seoul’s International Spring Fair: Tastes of the World

Last Saturday was that time of the year again when the Dwight School Seoul community was busy welcoming parents, students and guests inside the campus. It was the annual International Spring Fair! The theme for this year was “Tastes of the World”.

photo FB_IMG_1463556239520_zpshp05achr.jpg

For the past 2 years, The 601 Habit handled the Philippine booth. Due to some changes, we (The 601 Habit) didn’t get a table anymore. Instead, as a Dwight parent I (together with 2 other Filipino families) handled the Philippine table. For this year, the Dwight Parents Association encouraged participation from the parents, faculty and students. The international tables were handled by parents grouped according to their country of origin. Thankfully, 2 Filipino families joined this year so we were able to pull it through. Had it happened for the past 2 years, I surely cannot handle it alone.

It was a successful event. The most number of attendees, I think. To top it all, I had a very smooth working relationship with the other Grade 3 moms! Oh, as Parent Link, I also managed the Grade 3 table. Together with the Grade 3 moms, we sold ice cream sandwiches and ice popsicles. Perfect for kids on a warm day of playing under the sun. It was nice to see cooperation among the third grade moms who took turns in managing the table. Kudos to all the Grade 3 moms!

photo 1463556359851_zpsrwrfyo9m.jpg

Grade 3 parents helping at the table

Grade 3 table and Philippine table were put side by side so it was easy for me to stay with the 2 tables at the same time.

The Philippine table’s best seller were the mango juice and fresh mango fruits. We also had pancit and a variety of Philippine candies.

photo Collage 2016-05-14 10_12_53_zpsut9rcctn.jpg

Philippine Table

Teresa, Ivy and I were already talking about what to put in our Philippine table next year!

photo 20160514_103425-1_zpsgpq5rp6t.jpg

Proudly Pinoy

We’re keeping our fingers crossed and we hope to see additional Filipino families joining us next school year!

1. Chelsea Brady says:

I had an event like this in high school called “Mosaic”, and absolutely loved everything it had to offer. Some kids are sheltered and are just not exposed to other foods, so I think the exposure at such a young age is fantastic. The Philippines table looked great! Thanks for sharing 🙂

2. Laura Nalin says:

How awesome that you got to share a bit of your culture with your son’s peers. His school seems really progressive and it sounds like he’s always having a unique event of some sort happening!
    Laura Nalin recently posted..5 Things Travelers Need to Stop DoingMy Profile

3. Izzy says:

Yay, always representing! You should get povloron for next year’s mark! My friends always love those and they are so tiny. I love all the posts about your son’s school life. This school seems was more fun in comparison to my own elementary school experiences. How many countries were represented at the fair?!

• wendy says:

There was a good number of countries as we parents helped out each other well. We have the US, Canada, Netherlands, South Africa, Japan, El Salvador, Australia, Russia, Germany, Spain, France, Italy, China, India, Egypt, Philippines tables…. I think all parents took the challenge to heart:-).

4. Roxy Hutton says:

I LOVE world food fairs where I get a chance to try out the speciality foods from other countries! And it looks like everyone had a wonderful time 🙂

5. Gina says:

All that food looks so delicious and I would love to try some for myself! I’m glad the other Filipino families joined you so you could pull through on the festival!
    Gina recently posted..Gunpo Royal Azalea FestivalMy Profile

• Fiyatı makul demiÅŸsiniz, ama deÄŸil. Bir zamanlar HTC HD2 1000 TL seviyesinde en pahalı telefonlardan biriydi. Zaman geçtikçe firmalar, ürün fiyat konumlandırmalarını iphone fiyat seviyelerine çıkarmaya baÅŸladılar. Artık tepe seviye bir telefon 2000 TL seviyelerinde olmaya baÅŸladı. Biz de 1500 TL için uygun demeye baÅŸladık. Oysa bir zamanlar 1000 TL tepe fiyatı iken, 600 TL uygun fiyattı. Biz bunu kabullenirsek firmalar yarın bir gün 2000 TL’ye uygun telefon satmaya baÅŸlarlar.

6. Definitely craving some mango smoothies and juices now. Did you guys get them in bulk somewhere, I know they can’t be as cheap as in the Philippines, but I’m curious how much in your neck of the woods?
    Alla Ponomareva recently posted..Uselessly Useful Daejeon Facts – Part 1My Profile

7. Hanani says:

I agree with Megan – this is really cool what the school is doing. I think it’s great to have them exposed to these sorts of events. Those are great looking mangos!!! Yums.

8. Aw that sucks they didn’t give 601 Habit a proper table, but it looks like you guys did an awesome job as parents! All the food looks AMAZING.

• wendy says:

Hi Samanta, it was us who decided not to get a table for our group, The 601 Habit, since we can’t do fundraising for our group. But some of our members were there to show support so it was fun.

9. Megan Indoe says:

That’s really cool that your children’s school had an event like this to share international foods! You’re making me crave mangos like crazy now!
    Megan Indoe recently posted..5 Handy Tips for Staying Fit and Working Out While TravelingMy Profile