Appreciating the Legacy of Miagao Church

Perspective do play a dominant role in how one view objects and events around him.

Back in college, I was more than happy to be in UP Miagao. It provided a free environment. “Free” can be viewed and interpreted in different ways, of course. Nothing else really mattered except that I was just living my univeristy life in the way most convenient for me to do. Definitely, the Miagao Church which was just a walk away from the UP Campus was simply a structure that one could go to during Sunday masses. I knew even then that it was an important church but that was all there was to it.

Fast forward to today. I have gained a wider world view, if I may say so. I have travelled some places. I have seen things. And then… I now get to appreciate the Miagao Church which was just a convenient religious structure back in college .

Photobucket

Miagao Church

I look at its facade more closely and I take its listing in the UNESCO World Heritage List more seriously:

Photobucket

I appreciate its intricate details:

Photobucket

recognize its beauty from different angles:

Photobucket

discover the strength of its legacy:

Photobucket

and stand in awe of its splendor:

Photobucket

Update: December 18, 2015

Today I passed by the Miag-ao Church on our way for a family trip to Garin Farm. I am glad to answer a question of what its like inside. Here’s the front where the priest stands during the mass:

photo CAM09293_zpsjwpdr3l7.jpg

Interior of Miagao Church

This is the opposite side, the entrance of the church:

photo CAM09287_zpsnmswyzcz.jpg

The opposite side, where people enters

It’s not fancy. There’s nothing intricate about the interiors. But the whole structure speaks of immense strength.

We know it as the Miagao Church but it’s official name is St. Thomas of Villanueva Church.  The church was completed in 1797 and was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1993.

photo CAM09297-1_zpsx5tv7w4q.jpg

1. This church is lovely. I am not religious but I have visited some beautiful churches around the world. I think they are so lovely to photograph! Thanks for sharing. The carvings on the outside are just so intricate!
    Rafiqua Israel recently posted..Top 5 places to visit in Okinawa, JapanMy Profile

2. nadine says:

It’s truly a beautiful building. i often marvel at the craftsmanship that goes into building a church.
    The details are wonderful.

3. Linda says:

That’s an incredible church! it doesn’t seem to be that big but the details are beautiful! Thanks for sharing! 🙂
    Linda recently posted..How To Rent Hanbok in SeoulMy Profile

4. Laura says:

I really love architecture and the dedication that went into constructing these older buildings. I particularly love churches and temples – thanks for sharing!

• wendy says:

When we live in the place, it’s easy to take it for granted because it’s always there. Glad that there are institutions that formally recognize these beauty.

5. Don says:

The architecture and designs are very fascinating!
    Don recently posted..What’s learned From Korea’s Founding MythMy Profile

6. It’s so cool to see things like this from a fresh perspective. That really is a beautiful church; what’s it like inside?

I really like that last shot of the whole building. Seems like a great place to go with a bag lunch and relax while having a small picnic 🙂
    Nathan Anderson recently posted..Colors of Rajasthan: Six Highlights in JaipurMy Profile

• wendy says:

Hey, Nathan! I am going back to the area today since I am on vacation here in the Philippines. I might as well get a photo of the interior of the church. Thanks!

7. Megan Indoe says:

What a beautiful building! I love the architecture in old churches and temples. There’s so much detail and beauty!
    Megan Indoe recently posted..17 Bitchin’ Slopes for Snowboarding and Skiing in KoreaMy Profile

• wendy says:

Thanks, Megan. My province, Iloilo, is has several old churches with great architecture. I would love to make a post a out them… As soon as I am done with this vacation-mode:-).