Philippine Passport Renewal

This afternoon, I got my new maroon machine-readable Philippine passport:-). I filed for the renewal of my passport last January 18 at the Philippine Embassy located in Itaewon. Processing for the renewal of passport takes one month from processing date. The one-month duration is the same even if one is renewing his passport in the Philippines. The difference is, when the applicant is in the Philippines, he could opt to pay more for express processing which will take 20 days.

True enough, when I called the Philippine Embassy last February 19, I was informed that my passport is ready for pick-up. I got the luxury of time this afternoon while my son was sleeping in his stroller. I made sure that the Itaewon Station has an elevator before I set off to get my passport. Online connvenience is one of the blessings of being in South Korea. You can check out the subway map online and you can check if there is an elevator. Obviously, I have a thing for elevator. I go to places with my son… and his stroller.

For Philippine-passport holders living in South Korea who have not yet renewed their passport, the Philippine Embassy is open from Mondays to Fridays from 9am to 5:30pm. I actually almost didn’t make it as I arrived a few minutes before 4:30pm. As I was waiting for my passport in the counter, the blinds were rolled down and the front door was closed. I inquired why and I was told that the cut-off is at 4:30pm but they still accommodate visitors until 5:30pm. They do work until 5:30pm. Question: How can you accommodate visitors when the door had been closed? Just asking. I guess, I was lucky to arrive a few minutes before 4:30pm.

It was a relief to arrive at the Embassy this afternoon with just about four people waiting for their own documents. The only other times I set foot inside the Embassy were on a Sunday. In consideration of Filipinos who do not have time to go to the Embassy on weekdays, it is open from 9am-12noon on the first and third Sundays of each month.

Forms are available for download from the Philippine Embassy website but these can be easily obtained at the counter in the embassy. In fact, it is also available in the Philippine store where you can have your passport picture taken and conveniently have your documents photocopied. I even suggest that you have your picture taken here rather than have it taken somewhere else as the Department of Foreign Affairs is very strict with its specifications. One lady brought along her own set of pictures but was promptly rejected. So, she had to have her picture taken again.

Just present your current passport and make sure that you have the exact amount of 52,650won for the processing fee for renewal of passport. I handed 60,000won and got back the change this afternoon when I claimed my passport. It seems to be the standard procedure as my husband also experienced the same. In fairness, the embassy staff carefully notes down the amount you hand in. But if you don’t want to be bothered by such a petty matter, better prepare the exact amount:-).

1. I like reading a post that can make people think.
    Also, thanks for allowing for me to comment!
    poker terpercaya recently posted..poker terpercayaMy Profile

2. good afternoon po..ask ko lng kng paano mkipag apoinment to renew my passport and wat is the requirments.i nid the answer asap…tnx

3. wendy says:

hi bhel – philippine embassy address in seoul: #5-1 Itaewon-dong, Yongsan-gu, Seoul, Korea. Telephone number: 02-796-7387. or you can check out the website: http://www.philembassy-seoul.com/index.asp

4. bhel says:

hello wendy, can you please share the address and telephone number of the philippine embassy there in seoul. thank youn so much..

5. jenny says:

good afternoon maam/sir, i want to ammend my passport to my husband surname because im already married.and what are the requirements should i submit to the phil. embassy?

6. nenita bacay mantuano says:

i want to change my passport how can i got an schedule

7. brenda says:

hi , i want to ammend my passport how long it take to ammend in the philippines?

8. John says:

You can create valid passport photos with http://idphoto4you.com website.
    It uses face detection to set size and position of head.
    It is free.
    Built-in standards for 63 countries.

9. wendy says:

HI LJ – I had my passport amended more than 3 years ago in the Philippines. I submitted my original passport, NSO-certified marriage certificate and DFA form for amendment.

10. LJ says:

hi! i want to amend my passport to reflect my married name. do i still need to submit new passport pictures for the amendment?

what are the requirements when amending the passport to married name?

Thanks so much!

11. wendy says:

hi Madr – i only know that whatever your legal name is, it should also reflect in all your legal documents and your passport is one important legal document. so, if you have a marriage certificate to show that you have amended your family name, i think it follows that all your other documents would also follow your amended name (bank accounts, employment records, etc). in some airports, the immigration also asks for your ID aside from your passport. so, consistency in all your legal documents isn’t just a Philippine law requirement:-).

in my case, i amended my passport immediately after marriage because i didn’t want to face any complications in airports, banks or in any other transactions. in any case, when it’s time to renew my passport (i already did), i would still be declaring my new married name and it will be reflected in my new passport.

12. madr says:

Is it a Philippine law requirement that, if a Filipino female gets married (anywhere, let’s say in the USA), the Filipino female should use the husband’s surname in the Philippine passport?

Is the married Filipino female legally required to have her passport amended (to reflect change in surname) once she’s married, or is amending the passport optional?

13. joy says:

anyway, nice to meet you wendy…

14. joy says:

thanks for the idea about renewing passport.. have a good day..

15. wendy says:

hi mary, goodluck when you’re travelling. anyway, you are processing your korean citizenship so you’ll have a new Korean passport pretty soon.

16. arvinsign says:

“”by the way, please note that i am married to a pinoy:-).””

– rare species in Korea 🙂

17. Mary says:

i had it amended years ago

18. Mary says:

the officer insisted on using my married name since i had it amendment years ago as stamped in my passport and i’m still filipino, so i’d have a philippine passport by my married name and an ARC by my maiden name coz the immigration officers need only that.^ ^ if i have any immigration problems in the future i’ll have to get all my papers ready and my old passport handy.^ ^

19. Mary says:

Thanks, Wendy. Tell you about it after I get things done^ ^

20. wendy says:

hi mary, i don’t want to pretend to be an authority on this subject. but based on my experience, when i got married, i immediately had it ammended to reflect my married name. the immigration officer always checks the “amendments” section of my passport whenever i present my ARC when travelling from and to korea. nobody questioned my ARC and my passport whenever they see the amended section. by the way, please note that i am married to a pinoy:-).

i know that wives of koreans do not carry their husband’s name. Under the Phil law, there are three ways a married woman may choose to be called (you may check out Art. 370 of the Philippine Family Code). However, a married woman may also choose to use her full maiden name even after marriage.

korean law on maintaining the woman’s maiden name is recognized in the philippines so even if you use your maiden name, i don’t see any problem there. but you mentioned that you had your name amended in your passport so there is a stamped record of that already in your passport. chances are, your new passport will reflect your amended name. my new passport reflects my amended name already (that was the reason why I had it amended, anyway). you need to check whether you can retain your maiden name in your new passport since you already had your name amended in your old passport. sorry, can’t help you further. it is still better to ask the advice of the experts. the philippine embassy people may be able to help you. good luck!

21. Mary says:

Hi Wendy, I’m about to renew my pasport this month and thank god I’ve read about all these in your blog..

I had my passport ammended 2 years ago when I got married to a korean but in Korea I don’t really have to use my hub’s last name ,right?!

Provided I haven’t changed my citizenship yet(still on process) Would it be lawful to carry my hub’s last name in my new passport since I’m still a Filipina?

Would the immigration officers consider my ARC and passport even the last names don’t match?

Or would it be better to keep my maiden name?

Thank you.
    behxsa7@yahoo.com

22. wendy says:

yap, it’s open every first and third sundays of the month. you just need to be really early since you have a baby and the embassy is always full.

it is actually advisable to change your passport the soonest that you can for convenience in the airport immigration… i called DFA before and i was told that all passports should be upgraded to the machine-readable kind. i didn’t come across any official statement on this, though. anyway, you will be holding on to your current passport while the new one is being processed.

23. cher says:

the embassy is really open on sundays too????if that’s right then finally found time to register my baby at the embassy with my husband….kkkkk….by the way do you have idea if it’s okay to apply for the machine readable passport even if my current passport is still valid?

cher´s last blog post..To work or not to work….hmmmmm

24. kaytee says:

Hey Wendy! I was just looking for the passport renewal requirements and remembered you blogged about it! Useful ha!

thanks again for the lunch last sun! see ya!

kaytee´s last blog post..Destination Seoul at MoMA