I received an email today from a former officemate. Here’s what it contains:
Why should the wedding ring be worn on the fourth finger?
There is a beautiful and convincing explanation given by the Chinese.
- Thumb represents your parents
- Second (Index) finger represents your siblings
- Middle finger represents yourself
- Fourth (Ring) finger represents your Life Partner
- Last (Little) finger represents your children
- Firstly, open your palms (face to face), bend the middle fingers and hold them together – back to back.
- Secondly, open and hold the remaining three fingers and the thumb – tip to tip (as shown in the figure below):
- Now, try to separate your thumbs (representing the parents)… they will open, because your parents are not destined to live with you lifelong.
- Please join your thumbs as before and separate your Index fingers (representing siblings)… they will also open, because your brothers and sisters will have their own famlies and will have their own separate lives.
- Join the Index fingers again and separate your Little fingers (representing your children)… they will open too, because the children will also get married and settle down on their own someday.
- Finally, join your Little Fingers, and try to separate your Ring fingers (representing your spouse). You will be surprised that you just CANNOT… because Husband and Wife have to remain together all their lives – through thick and thin!
Isn’t this a lovely theory?
Try it out… what do you think?